If you love muffins but have never tried muffin tops before, you’re in for a treat! Why? Because the top is the best part of the muffin! It gets deliciously crispy and golden! So, it’s no wonder more and more people are beginning to incorporate muffin tops into their baking regime! We’re here to help you join in by giving you a few muffin top recipes to start yourself off!
1) Chocolate Chip Style Tops
Who doesn’t love chocolate muffins? Now imagine how good they would be if it was just the tops! Well, now you can try it out for yourself with this super easy recipe!
The ingredients are as followed:
- 3 tbsp butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
And your steps are simple!
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until well combined.
- Add in the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. At this point, the ‘batter’ should resemble a packaged muffin mix. It will be very very dry.
- Slowly add in the milk and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the batter onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- The muffin tops will spread, be sure to leave space on the pan for them to spread!
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until they bounce back when touched.
- Cool for a few minutes before serving. It can be served hot or cold. Store in an airtight container.
2) Blueberry Style Tops
Next on the list is blueberry. This delicious dessert uses fresh blueberries and a delicious streusel topping that will for sure make you happy!
The ingredients for the muffin tops are as followed:
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 Cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 Tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Packages (6 ounces each) fresh blueberries
- 1 Package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into 8 cubes
The ingredients for the streusel topping are as followed:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cold, cut into cubes
Although it seems like there are plenty of steps, it’s actually quite simple:
For the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375 ̊F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pour 6 tablespoons melted butter into a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add the zest of 1 lemon, 1 cup yogurt, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Set aside butter mixture.
- Place 2 cups flour into a medium bowl.
- Add1 ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Sift to combine ingredients.
- Stir flour mixture into butter mixture just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Scoop batter into eight rounded mounds and place four mounds onto each baking sheet.
- Flatten mounds slightly.
- Divide blueberries between mounds and press blueberries gently into mounds.
- Place one cream cheese cube onto each muffin top.
For the streusel topping:
- Place 1/3 cup flour into a medium bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Stir to combine ingredients.
- Add 1/4 cup butter.
- Work mixture together with fingertips until pea-sized clumps form.
- Divide the streusel evenly among muffin tops.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Rotate baking sheets.
- Continue baking 15 to 20 minutes longer or muffin tops are until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow muffin tops to cool slightly before serving.
3) Banana Style Tops
Last most certainly does not mean least. Especially when it comes to this list! This easy recipe creates amazing, mouthwatering and moist banana muffin tops! Feel free to make it your own by adding your choice of mix ins!
You will need:
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
The steps are simple! In fact, there are only 2 of them!
- In a mixer, blend butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until combined. Blend in bananas. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Fill cavities of muffin top pan half full (do not over fill). Bake in a 375-degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove and cool. Enjoy
Now that you have all the recipes, it’s time to get started! Let us know if you decide to use one of these styles of muffin tops or if you chose to make your own!