10 creative food hacks that Foodies loveBy Lavanya - 4 min read
When it comes to food, ‘Foodies’ cannot stop thinking about it. Along with savoring and relishing their favorite delights, foodies
When it comes to food, ‘Foodies’ cannot stop thinking about it. Along with savoring and relishing their favorite delights, foodies enjoy cooking too.
Preparation of interesting dishes by trying out novel recipes keeps a foodie well engaged and needless to say extremely happy.
For a generation that believes in quick-fix ideas and multi-tasking with innovative ideas, there are several creative hacks to make that possible. Introduce such creative hacks in your kitchen, and you shall be amazed by the output.
Foodies do love cooking and eating, but they rather prefer the smart way over a tedious, long one. Some short-cut and brainy hacks with food make a straight way into the heart and stomach of foodies.
Several hacks can save time, offer uniqueness, make interesting dishes and bring convenience. Some hacks may help you save money, while few others may allow you to take a short-cut for an exceptionally long boring process.
Whatever may be the purpose, the underlying factor remains the same. Convenience and ease await at the other end of these hacks. Besides, it adds some enthusiasm and interest in an otherwise tedious process.
Let us dive into some of the creative food hacks that are loved and practiced by foodies.
1. Garlic galore
Peeling garlic is often a difficult task, and if you do not have long nails, then good luck with that. Luckily two easy methods can come to your rescue.
Method 1: Place garlic cloves in a glass container or jar. You can use an empty sauce or jam jar. Close the lid and shake it thoroughly. Garlic peels will start to come off and make your job easy.
Method 2: Press the garlic clove with the flat edge of a knife; the peel will loosen up to be removed off quickly.
You can even microwave the garlic for 20 seconds, but this method can lead to a slight change in the texture and color. If you do not need the look and texture of raw garlic, this hack is good to go.
2. Fun with eggs
i. Check their freshness: Eggs have a large pack size. As they come in packs of 12, 18 or 24, they tend to sit in the refrigerator for a longer time. Hence to check the freshness, place the egg in a bowl of water.
- If the egg sinks to the bottom and lays flat on the surface, it is incredibly fresh and healthy for consumption.
- If the egg floats on the surface, it has turned bad and needs to be discarded.
- If it stands upright at the bottom, it is less fresh and should be consumed immediately
ii. Separation of egg yolk: Break open an egg into a bowl. Use an empty plastic bottle of drinking water or sodas, press the bottle to suck the egg yolk inside its narrow opening. Put the separated yolk in a new bowl.
3. Lemonade hack
Crave for a fresh glass of lemonade every time you are back after a long day, but too tired to make it? Or find it tedious to make just one glass? You can overcome this boredom and prepare a drink now and then by a simple hack.
- Squeeze lemon juice from 6-7 lemons or more. Roll the lemon on a flat surface to squeeze the maximum amount of juice from it.
- Add sugar as per your taste and mix it well. You can skip this step and add sugar later too.
- Pour this juice into an ice tray and preserve the juice cubes.
- Next time, you need your lemonade, simply take 1 or 2 cubes in a glass and add water to it. You can adjust the taste by adding more sugar if needed.
4. Fruity fun
- Prevent browning of bananas or delay its ripening process, by wrapping top part of the bunch with a plastic wrap.
- Do not spend time in peeling a kiwi and then cutting it into slices. Only cut the top portion of the fruit. Roll the kiwi on a flat surface to loosen its pulp. Dig a spoon into the pulp, simply swoop and enjoy the fruit.
- Using a peeler for ginger can be messy and troublesome. Only use a spoon and remove the peels easily.
Fill pancake mix inside an old ketchup bottle to remove the content directly from the pan with ease
Use cookie cutters and molds for creative shapes of pancakes
6 Creative fried eggs
- Cut a slice of capsicum- red, yellow or green
- Place it in a pan and break an egg into it
- You can do the same with an onion ring or use a cookie mold.
Place an apple in the bag of potatoes. This prevents undesirable budding.
Make crispy potato chips at home in a microwave.
- Cut thin slices of potatoes.
- Add little vegetable oil into a plastic bag, add the slices and shake it well for coating.
- Arrange these slices next to each other on a safe microwave plate. Microwave for 5-10 minutes. Flip the slices if needed and microwave again for 2-3 minutes. This time depends on the power of your microwave. Hence it is essential to customize. Check as they turn slightly brown to give a crispy touch.
- Season with salt, pepper or any seasoning of your choice.
8. Use coffee marker to get boiling water
This can be poured into a bowl of instant oatmeal, cup noodles or instant noodles.
9. Grating cheese
Coat the grater with vegetable oil or spray cooking oil. This makes it easy to grate the cheese and prevents sticking to the surface.
10. Easy Ice-cream
Pre-scoop soft ice-cream into cupcake tray and refreeze it. This way you can enjoy individual scoops without struggling with the frozen ice-cream.
Cut ice-cream slices from a bigger box with the help of a knife and store the slices.
Image credit: Pixabay